Confederate Battle Flag - 32" x 32"
At the Battle of First Manassas, confusion reigned not only because of the nature of war, but the two sides could not identify where their troops were on the field. Regiments carried flags to help commanders observe and assess battles in the warfare of the era. The Stars & Bars and the Stars & Stripes at a distance were hard to tell apart. In addition, Confederate regiments carried many other flags, which added to the possibility of confusion. The true Battle Flag was square. On November 28, 1861, Confederate soldiers in General Robert E. Lee's newly reorganized Army of Northern Virginia received the new battle flags in ceremonies at Centreville and Manassas, Virginia, and carried them throughout the Civil War. The battle flag features the cross of St. Andrew (the apostle was martyred by being crucified on an X-shaped cross), and is commonly called the "Southern Cross." A large degree of the Southern population was of Scottish and Scotch-Irish ancestry, and thus familiar with St. Andrew, the patron saint of Scotland.